Following fatal overnight shootings, including at a gay pub in the Norwegian capital, Oslo’s Pride march was cancelled on Saturday.
Following “clear” police advice, the march’s organisers announced on Facebook that “all events linked to Oslo Pride have been cancelled.”
Police confirmed that they were looking into the shootings as a “terrorist attack,” which left two people dead and at least 14 injured.
After the shootings, which happened at around 1 am (11 p.m. GMT) in three different places, including a homosexual pub in Norway’s capital, a suspect was detained.
Police stated on Saturday, without naming the suspect, that he is a Norwegian of Iranian heritage.
The man was well-known to domestic intelligence agencies and had run-ins with the law before for relatively minor offences, including weapon and drug possession, according to the police.
According to public broadcaster NRK and other local media, The London Pub, a well-known homosexual bar and nightclub in the heart of the city, was the scene of the shooting.
Olav Roenneberg, NRK Journalist, said: “I saw a man arrive with a bag, he picked up a gun and started to shoot.”
The Oslo police department tweeted, “Two people are confirmed dead.”
Police reported that 14 people were transported to hospitals, several with serious injuries.
The university hospital in Oslo declared that after the incident, it had been placed on red alert.
While police and ambulance sirens could be heard all throughout the city, helicopters hovered over central Oslo.
The Norwegian Prime Minister, Jonas Gahr Støre, expressed his condolences to the victims, addressing the shooting as “a cruel and deeply shocking attack on innocent people.”
The PM said on Facebook: “My thoughts go to the victims and their relatives.”
“We do not yet know what was behind this terrible act, but to the queer community who are now scared and in mourning, I want to say that we are all with you.”
Book Pigeon Week Ads Spot
Uniswap Protocol Token