There has been a major change in media, particularly with television, computers, and mobile devices, which give individuals a massive supply of information in a matter of seconds. Even a one-year-old baby will be able to use such electronic media. This has both a beneficial and harmful psychological impact on humans.
Many people attempt suicide or injure themselves as a result of not receiving the mobile phone or equipment they desired. Above all, television has had an impact on individuals of all ages. So, let’s look at some of the positives and negatives.
- People are able to communicate globally.
- Information is easily accessible to people.
- People’s perceptions and attitudes have shifted as a result of advertising and awareness campaigns.
- People learned everything they could about their own country as well as other countries through the news.
- People can get addicted to television, mobiles or internet.
- Watching television, creates dullness in our mind and reduces concentration level. This will have great impact on children, as they won’t be able to study or concentrate in class. In adult, they will tend to face difficulty to focus in their work, which will affect their performance.
- Reduced social interaction
- Obesity has increased as people have reduced physical and outdoor activities.
- Crime rates and violence have increased. Even in children we can notice an increase bullying. This is because of what they see on television, and they believe it is acceptable to behave so. In adults, we see people killing or doing hideous things as they get influenced from the movies they watch.
Children are especially vulnerable because they might be influenced by media. Children spend a lot of time watching television because it gives a wealth of entertainment and information. This, however, reduces their outside activities, social engagement, and reading and writing habits. As people watch more television, their ability to concentrate and be creative deteriorates. But there can be positive effects too; where children can watch programmes which give useful information about life style, diverse culture, science and technology which can increase a child’s knowledge.
So it is our job to watch a good programmes that will teach us how to interact with others rather than turning us into violent and angry individuals. When it comes to children, parents should make certain that they are watching programmes that will help them learn more. When youngsters watch television, parents should keep an eye on them. Children are influenced greatly by television.