If you ask a lot of people, “under which class of food do cucumbers belong? fruit or vegetable?”. They’d mostly choose vegetables as the answer. This is because cucumbers are widely known for their culinary use.
However, cucumber is botanically a fruit, since it has seeds and grows from a flower. This is not the only thing about cucumbers that people are greatly ignorant about. Many people also fail to notice that cucumbers are packed with nutrients, and have a lot of health benefits, especially when consumed raw.
Below are some of the nutritional benefits of cucumbers:
- They aid in hydration, thereby preventing dehydration. Cucumbers are highly packed with electrolytes, which enriches the body with water. Water is very important in the body, as it makes up 75% of the body’s components.
- They are ideal for detoxification of the body. This is also because cucumbers are made up of 96% water.
- They help to boost the immune system. Cucumbers provide the body with plenty of vitamins and minerals which help to improve the immune system. This way, your body is less likely to fall ill.
- They help in weight loss. Take cucumbers regularly to help keep your body fit and healthy.
- They help to lower the blood sugar level of the body.
- Cucumbers aid digestion.
- They help in skin health. Have you ever wondered why most skin care therapy involves cucumbers??. Well, this is why. Cucumbers help in achieving glowing skin.
- They are also good for the eyes. Cucumbers contain vitamin A which helps to improve eyesight.
Eating one cucumber daily will most certainly keep you cool through spring!. And what’s great is that they’re low in calories too.