President Joko Widodo inaugurated the new Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) factory, the first in Southeast Asia at Deltamas, Central Cikarang, Bekasi, West Java. Present at the inauguration, Executive Chair of Hyundai Motor Group Euisun Chung and several government ministers of Joko Widodo.
What’s so special about Hyundai’s first factory in ASEAN, which was built in Indonesia:
- The first HMC factory in ASEAN and Indonesia has actually been completed since December last year. This factory was built on an area of 77.7 hectares with a building area of 18.8 hectares. The investment value is around US$ 1.55 billion with a production capacity of up to 150,000 units per year which can be increased to 250,000 units per year.
- Since December last year, the Hyundai factory in Cikarang has produced the Hyundai CRETA SUV model, as the first Hyundai car made in Indonesia.
- After being inaugurated by President Joko Widodo, this factory has added another model it produces, namely the Ioniq 5 (battery-based electric car/BEV). So the Hyundai Ioniq 5 became the first electric car made in Indonesia to target the domestic and export markets. This is a new milestone for the national automotive industry.
Environmentally Friendly Facilities and Technology
- The factory owned by PT Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Indonesia was built with the vision of “Progress for Humanity”. Concretely, it has a series of environmentally friendly facilities and technologies, such as solar panels for electricity supply needs for the operation of the assembly shop area. Meanwhile, in the painting process, using water-based or waterborne paints which contain lower Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) than other types of paint.
In addition, Hyundai also prioritizes employee comfort while working by installing air conditioning facilities in almost all buildings in the factory area, thus making this manufacturing plant the first in Indonesia to use air conditioning.
- The Hyundai factory is also equipped with a Safety Training Center, which provides training sessions for all employees and local partners. This training center also adopts Virtual Reality (VR) technology as part of the training materials for direct simulation in the field.
- Interestingly, this factory is equipped with a Mobility Innovation Center to encourage the development of strategic product models in ASEAN, with various facilities ranging from a materials lab to a driving evaluation facility.
Through this Mobility Innovation Center, Hyundai has a mission to grow and develop with its local partners in Indonesia by holding various training activities to exchange knowledge and technology.