Last fall, the number of infections and deaths had been low, but this spring there was a very important increase thanks to Omicron.
This Sunday, March 13, 228 people were reported in Ontario intensive care for Covid-19. Despite this, the plan to lift health restrictions remains in place. The total number recorded is down from the previous day, as on Saturday there were 232 in ICU, and 722 in the general hospital where 77% due to the virus and 23% for external reasons. On Friday, there were 411 deaths.
The number of new cases in the province is 1,631 cases but health officials say that could be an undercount. Records indicate 9 deaths of infected people. Chris Elliot, Ontario Health Minister, shared on his social media that the hospitalization data was not available.
He said that more than 31 million vaccines were administered in the province, and “92.7% of Ontarians over the age of 12 have one dose and 90.7% have two doses.”
The total number of cases in Canada is more than 3 million, with more than 36 thousand deaths. Eighty-four percent of the population is vaccinated, of which 48% has the booster.
The possibility of covid testing reached 12%, being 10% last week. The government said that since yesterday more than 13 thousand tests were performed. 55% of children between 5 and 11 years of age have already had their first dose and 30% are fully vaccinated.
As the rules continue to adapt, the Canadian government will make announcements later this week.