Ever since the pandemic hit the world in early 2020, there have been restrictions around the globe to go out and celebrate different occasions. However, many people thought of a happy and peaceful new year without any coronavirus fear until last month. Unfortunately, as we approach the new year, the situation around the world is worse. Canada is not an exception from the rest.
Canada reports more than 20,000 daily COVID-19 cases on Monday. Although the biggest provinces, Ontario and Quebec, are primarily responsible for these numbers, Ontario’s recent data shows a downward trend. Quebec has shattered its previous record today with 12,833 new cases. However, for the third day in a row, Ontario’s numbers have dropped from over 10,000 to 8,825.
At the same time, Ontario puts new restrictions on long-term care facilities. The province is pausing social visits in and out of long-term care homes because of the Omicron threat. Long-term care minister Rod Phillips says that care homes will be restricted to two designated caregivers per resident as of Thursday. The residents can only go out for essential needs. The minister said, “it’s important to reduce exposure”.
On the other hand, another Trudeau cabinet minister tested positive for covid. Labour minister Seamus O’Regan is isolating now. However, the minister didn’t share the details about his health. Foreign Affairs minister Melanie Joly made a similar announcement last week.
The daily cases of COVID-19 are dramatically increasing in other countries like France, the U.S., the U.K., Italy, etc.
As the new year approaches, many countries are re-thinking about restrictions, testing centers, and hospital protocols.